Gluten free, vegan crepe style pancakes
If you prefer your pancakes more sugar and lemon style, rather than fluffy american stack style, this recipe is for you. Making gluten free, vegan pancakes isn’t the easiest but this recipe was the result of a few trials and makes delicious, soft and very much roll-able crepes.
250g Buckwheat flour
600ml Hemp milk
3 x Flax eggs (3tbsp flax seed and 9tbsp water)
½ tsp Bicarb
A squeeze of lemon juice or dash of ACV
½ tsp Nutmeg
A pinch of sea salt
- Firstly, mix up your flax eggs by mixings your ground flax with water in a bowl and leave to gel for around half an hour. Add the bicarb and lemon juice to the flax eggs and mix through.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the dry pancake ingredients, making a little well in the middle for the “eggs” as with a “normal” pancake mix.
- Once the flax egg has fully gelled, pour this into the little well in the dry ingredients bowl and start mixing.
- When the moisture from the eggs has been absorbed you will need to start adding the milk, a bit at a time.
- Continue adding milk and mixing well until the pancake mix is smooth and runny.
- Heat a large frying pan (med-high) using your choice of oil to grease.
- Ladle in enough mix to cover the base of the pan and roll the pan around to get an even distribution of batter.
- When the topside of the pancake starts to cook, gentle lift up all the edges of the pancake and flip over to cook the underside.
- Sprinkle over coconut sugar and squeeze on lemon juice for a traditional crepe style pancake and roll up.
Got a great flip on these crepes? Show us by tagging @can_eat_attitude on Instagram.
If you have a hankering for a stack of American style pancakes, check out this recipe instead.