7 top food essentials to travel with when you have dietary requirements
If you have specific dietary requirements, the thought of going away might be causing you some anxiety. And you should know that you are not alone. In fact, we’ve been there, done that, and smuggled a cool bag of food up to our hotel room!
If you are staying in a hotel or B&B, get in touch with them before you arrive and reconfirm dietary requirements, even if you gave them the info on booking. You’re unlikely to need all of the items below if your hotel fully understands your needs, but having them with you could help you to relax quicker; knowing that you have a fail safe if there is a communication break down.
We’ve pulled together our top food essentials to help ease any anxiety you have about travelling with dietary requirements. Our top essentials are suitable for nut free, vegans following a gluten free diet.
- Smoothie and go machine, or equivalent, to mix up smoothies for yourself as a nutrient dense snack or breakfast.
- A selection of fruit and veg kept in a cool bag with lots of ice packs. If you’re staying in a hotel, they may be kind enough to give you extra ice if you’re brave enough to ask and if you’re self catering you’ll probably have a fridge. Things like kale, berries, bananas and avocado keep quite well in a cool bag kept in a sink or bath overnight.
- Long life coconut milk – this doesn’t need storing in a fridge and the Koko brand does packs of 3 individual portion sized cartons which are ideal for mixing up overnight oats or protein shakes.
- Clean, empty jars for mixing up overnight oats. Keeping your jars chilled overnight in a bathtub/sink of cold water could help.
- Buckwheat flakes, ground flaxseed, cinnamon and hemp protein powder will help to make up jars of overnight oats, using the long-life coconut milk.
- Your favourite overnight porridge bowl toppings – if you have space, pack a small Tupperware of dried fruits such as goji berries, mulberries, raisins and sultanas.
- A box of your favourite herbal tea/fresh lemon and ginger to kick start your day and reduce your temptation to head towards the caffeine pot.
(Note: this list is ideal for those with more room than a backpack for storage)